Angels on the Streets



That is Prince, the first one from the left. Next to him is Richard. The one holding the sign is J.R., beside him is Dexter tapping Martjim’s back. The smallest kid is John Loyd. I first had a hard time telling their names one by one– I was never really good at remembering names. But now, just one look at them on the streets and I could tell who’s standing, or climbing posts, or chasing cars. I could tell they’re my angels too – angels without wings – and these angels changed my life.  

These boys are just a couple of about twenty street kids who drop by our worship place every now and then. When I took a one-day visit in my hometown last March, I came to see their faces for the first time. I was overwhelmed at their numbers. It was the first time that I’ve ever seen the place crowded with that many kids. The place was in total chaos, take note that these children never had the chance to learn formal etiquette. I didn’t know how to react, much more “handle” them since I grew up without siblings. I have experienced teaching voluntarily yes, but it was 7 graders in an actual school, an entirely different scenario. Regardless of the needed effort however, everyone in the fellowship group was still determined to set up a Children’s Ministry and there was I standing in an ocean of commotions and flying slippers. My first day with the kids was in all aspect topsy-turvy. It was tiring but as I sat down after waving goodbyes at them, a feeling much too familiar to me had again filled my innermost senses: that incredibly gratifying feeling I get every time I teach that makes me know I just have to do it again. What started out as inconvenience actually became a hilarious, beautiful story to tell. After all, angels often come in disguise don’t they?
The kids learning new songs with kuya Juvert and Jerome.
The following summer when I decided to stay for good in town for the meantime, I spent every Saturdays with the kids. The first few weekends were spent learning new songs like “This is the Day that the Lord has Made”. Apparently, an excellent way to unite the kids and catch their attentions is through Children’s songs. We also had this game “Pass the Magic Microphone” where they get to tell anything that happened within their week when the mic lands on them as the singing stops. It was how I started to know them in depth. Where they came from, who their families are or who stands as their families, why they do what they do and who they really want to be. Towards the end of April, we have covered almost every Bible story we could tackle about – the creation, Abraham’s faith, Noah’s righteousness, David’s triumph etc. – but it was really me who learned from them more than they could ever learn from me. With ragged clothes and thin slippers they make their way into this partially painted room even when it’s not a Saturday to know more about who this Jesus is. I too, find myself seeing them beyond scheduled times. One thing I knew about angels is that, it’s just hard to keep them from God. They are His.
A photo with the kids during break time.
So why do I see them as angels? Because they exist yet we always don’t see them. They are as real as how real their stories are. Stories of a father that was never known, a mother thrown in rehab, schools that were never been to again, homes that were demolished… Stories that make me ask myself where I was whilst these things were happening to children in another reality. Oh right. I was in high school, busy being prom queen. There are moments I just had to ask them to do something else while I take a restroom break, but I actually just hid myself from breaking down into tears. I couldn’t explain how these angels have made such a great impact to me that would probably mark the rest of my life decisions.

Last 17th of July, a terrible fire hit some streets in town and covered almost three long blocks including the block called “Villanueva Street”. This is where most of these children and their families were living at as informal settlers. The fire scattered swiftly among the arrays of wooden houses and there were nothing left. Quoting the words of one named Marbon, “walay nabilin [walang natira]”. It was a plain, blatant statement, no hint of worries in his eyes. I thought I was even more worried about them than they were! One kid stood up during the Thanksgiving and Testimonies. He held the mic firmly and said thanks to his Jesus that nobody was harmed and thanks in advance that their house would be built again soon. My jaw dropped. There I was teaching about Faith and my student knew the depths of it than I ever had. It took just one summer to teach a bunch of street kids a relationship with God. How much more could we do in a lifetime?
Some notes the kids wrote for Jesus.
After the fire and all the twist and turns of events, this chronicles still continue. When I walk along the streets in town, I know one or two of them are just around the corner. Sometimes, they will pull me for a talk and sometimes it will just take one smile and a wink to signal “I’ll see you soon, the usual place”. I was not so good in commuting and crossing highways. As you might have guessed it, I was always dependent on my dad or on someone else as my driving hero. But not today – today, I’ve got guardian angels on the streets and we’ve got Jesus as our Hero.


(Images: Original. Copyright 2015.)

Comments

Popular Posts