"Dear Self" Letters (by 7th Graders)

Written letters by 7th graders of Agusan National Highschool

Dear Self,
I believe that the Lord gives a reason why [you're] here and I believe that all people are beautiful, and I believe that the Lord will never give up so that we don't give up.
-Charlene

Dear Self,
You're a UNIQUE being. You are nothing without God, our Savior. Be thankful to who you are. Be confident with what you have . Just be real and be good, and have love at all times.
-Julie Anne

Dear Self, 
Just be positive. Don't ignore yourself because you're short, fat, or ugly because God gave it. Be proud of it. Don't be jealous at them because you're beautiful.
- Adje Grace

If there is one reason why I find fulfillment in teaching, it would be that I've always thought of things like "if only I knew this when I was younger" or "if only somebody just told me before". Voluntarily teaching for Values Education gives me the chance to become that 'somebody'. When I was a freshmen in high school (or 7th Graders as referred to today because of the K12 program development), I had no idea about the things that were in store for me. I had no idea about high school drama which comes totally different from childish quarrels and fights in the playground, nor the idea of losing oneself under the dictates of media or the impulse of one's emotional outbursts. I knew none of this. Not even how hard it is to apply for college in your dream university. The good thing is that these thirteen and fourteen year-old pupils are all ears to me. I've got the chance to talk to them as if I'm talking to my younger self. 

Last Wednesday in class, our discussion was about "Self" and how God created it to be. We tackled some common issues with regards to self that teenagers often experience; self-acceptance, self-centeredness, and self-denial (all of which I have also personally encountered by the way). At the end of the discussion, I asked pupils to write letters addressed to themselves and provided them with "dear self" cards to fill in. I sat down at night and read these letters one by one. It brought me smiles and some drops of tears. 

Dear Self,
Today is a beautiful day, a good good day because [you] are feeling well and [you] are not sick. It's a beautiful thing that you're mother is here now from Cagayan. You're going home and seeing her today.
-Happy

Dear Self,
It doesn't matter that you are ugly and everyone bullies you. [What's] important is that you are positive in your life. What is important is that your family loves you. Whatever you do, don't surrender, be positive always!!! =) =) =)
-Gail

Dear Self,
You are beautiful as who you are. [Be] thankful to God that He created you wonderfully. Just put a smile on your face everyday. Be happy =)
-Diana

Dear Self,
I believe that [you] are beautiful no matter what they say. Be proud to be you even though you've got a big forehead because I believe having a big forehead is having a positive and bright mind.
-Katrina

Dear Self,
You are so unique, simple, and you are a daughter of God. You have a good friend who will make you smile, happy, etc.. You have teachers, friends, classmates, parents, and you have also God who loves you and created you. You are a great person, a great daughter, and a great friend. Everyone loves you! Congratulations! You're such a blessed daughter of God. #happy #blessed
-Kristel

Dear Self, 
Trust anyone that call you pretty. Jesus does not make ugly people. 
-Anon.

Dear Self,
Live everyday with a smile. Be kind to everyone. Pray always and go to church every Sunday. Help everyone, and trust yourself.
-Lorie Jake

Dear Self,
You deserve to live because you are true to who you are. Believe in God and never give up. Believe in God and never let Him go.
-Carl

Part of what we talked about is the fact that there are indeed things that we cannot forcibly change about ourselves. But there are also things that can be changed; our manner or way our life, our behaviors, and our attitudes. I have known this as a child since my father was an optimist. I have known in addition however (just recently in my Christian life), that it is not our job to change ourselves solely. This explains the handful of failed attempts to change that always lead to frustration. For example are all the broken rules made to oneself and all the new year resolutions that have been long forgotten. Our real job is to decide to change and God will change everything for us, for man decides and God directs his steps (Proverbs 16:9). We may have the strength to achieve changes at a moment but divine intervention is the key to sustain this change. This is the way God intended to be so as no man could boast about his own righteousness. But if man has to boast, he may only boast about what God has done for him (2 Corinthians 10:17).  Our efforts become obsolete to the schemes of this world. It is not our efforts therefore, but His.  We are changed by His will under His grace. We make the decision to change and allow God take control from there. The steps does not have to come from us but God will provide it through the conviction of the spirit. :)
Dear Self, 
I know I am stupid and I am [a] liar. But now I've moved on from the past experience because God helped me to move on from the past bad work. 
-Anon.

Dear Self,
You can do it! There are many trials in life. Don't give up, be positive. Nobody is perfect, you may fail, you may stumble, but always think that God is always right beside you. 
-Krizha

Dear Self,
You are a beautiful thing in my life. I am thankful about you and all the other people. God is the Creator. He is powerful. Stay good to others because He is your Father.
-Hannah
Dear Self,
Be happy and stay disciplined by your family and other elders because the Lord is a very good Father to us. 
-Kevin

Dear Self,
Live everyday as a kind person. Be thankful to everyone who loves you.
-Anon.

Dear Self,
Be happy everyday and just believe in yourself whatever you do. God is always by your side. Just enjoy your life. God is your number one bestfriend =)
-Ma. Meanny

I'm delighted to see these 7th graders re-focus their perspective on self to how God sees them. Seeing oneself in the lens of God makes us happy and free individuals. It took me longer to know this, but I'm glad I'm able to talk about this today with younger adolescents whom I believe are meant to experience revelations upon revelations from the God who loves us eternally. :)

"You who are young, be happy while you are young,
    and let your heart give you joy in the days of your youth.
Follow the ways of your heart
    and whatever your eyes see,
but know that for all these things
    God will bring you into judgment."
-Ecclesiastes 11:9

(Image: Original. Copyright 2015.)

Comments

Popular Posts